Saturday 27 August 2011

Symbian Anna - The end of crashy Nokia Phones?

If someone suggests a Nokia phone as of late, peoples immediate response is something along the lines of "they crash all the time"

Not entirely incorrect, as I have put up with the odd crashe every week or so for the past 3 years, firstly on my N86, now on my N8.
The issue lies with the software and firmware most Nokia phones use which is called Symbian (except the N9 which uses Windows Mobile).

 As I am not one for leaving things alone, when I first recieved my N8, the first thing I did was to "flash" the phone to le latest unbranded version of the Symbian software, which was still Symbian ^3 at the time - this did improve things slightly, but I was still left with random crashes ever now and again - which I just learnt to live with.



There was however a handy feature on ^3 which would automatically restart and resume the phone whenever it detected a crash, which prevented the need to yank the battery out the back of the phone.

For the past year, word has been going around about the replacement for Symbian ^3, the new version being called Symbian Anna.
Eagerly awaited by users of the Nokia N8, C7. C6-01 and the E7 Symbian Anna has just started to hit the update servers - not available for most users in the UK as most networks are still adding their branding - joy!
New Menu Icons

I managed to get hold of the unbranded European version early last week which I have been running since with great results.
Most noticeable is the fact the phone hasn't crashed once, even through intense use - a miracle! Lets just hope I haven't spoken too soon.







Most noticeable improvements from Symbian Anna include:

  • Runs Quicker
  • New Menu Icons
  • Updated Codecs (Java, Flash)
  • Updated Web Browser
  • QWERTY Keyboard in Portrait Mode
There are other small changes all over the place which I have found now and again.

So - Initial testing looks good, lets hope it stays that way!

QWERTY Portrait Keyboard

No comments:

Post a Comment